With so much time spent at home, I’ve been getting creative with new recipe ideas! I created a yummy One-Pan Chicken & Rice with Kale and California Prune dish that I know you will love! I love the addition of California Prunes in this dish because they’re super versatile in adding an element of sweetness and nutritional value at the same time. The prunes melt right into the rice, and create the perfect balance of sweet and savoury. One pan meals save so much time and mess, and the real plus is that all your ingredients are cooking together under one roof for the ultimate burst of flavour.
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- 10 whole California Prunes
- Bone-in skin-on chicken cut in 8
- 1.5 cups of brown or wild rice (do not use quick cooking rice, cooking time should be between 20–40 minutes)
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 red or white onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp of paprika
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large bowl combine chicken, olive oil, and spices until the chicken is coated evenly.
- Add onions, garlic, and uncooked rice to the bottom of a casserole dish or dutch oven, and pour broth over the rice ensuring it’s covered.
- Layer chicken on top so that it’s covering the rice and broth.
- Sprinkle the prunes and chopped kale over and around the chicken and rice (alternatively, you can sauté the kale separately in a wok if you prefer it a little crunchier).
- Cover and cook for 1 hour. At the 1 hour mark, uncover and cook for another hour until the rice is cooked thoroughly and the chicken is crispy.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 2 HOURS
5 reasons I love California Prunes:
- Immune Boosting: Did you know California Prunes are packed with nutrients? They’re a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fibre which boost your overall immune system, and promote a healthy gut.
- Great for fitness lovers and athletes: California Prunes support strong healthy bones, making them a great food for athletes and recreational fitness lovers (like me!). The Potassium, Vitamin K, and Polyphenols work together to protect your bones.
- Snacking: They’re the perfect healthy snack! Not only are they sweet and filling, but they’re great fuel for exercise as 3-4 prunes meet your daily fruit and carbohydrate requirement.
- Versatile: I love that I could eat prunes on-the-go as a snack, in my breakfast oatmeal or yogurt, or part of a savoury chicken dish (like this one!).
- Natural Sweetener- I love using prunes instead of sugar in recipes! They add a sweet flavour, and amazing texture.
Thank you California Prunes for sponsoring this post 🙂 I feel very lucky to have worked with you a second time!
Check out californiaprunes.ca for tons of other recipes. California Prunes teamed up with professional Canadian athletes to share general nutritional/training tips and you can find those on the website as well.
#prunesforlife #CAprunesCAN #EatCAprunes #prunes4bones #TEAM UP #Canadianathletes