- 10 whole California Prunes
- Bone-in skin-on chicken cut in 8
- 1.5 cups of brown or wild rice (do not use quick cooking rice, cooking time should be between 20–40 minutes)
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 red or white onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp of paprika
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large bowl combine chicken, olive oil, and spices until the chicken is coated evenly.
- Add onions, garlic, and uncooked rice to the bottom of a casserole dish or dutch oven, and pour broth over the rice ensuring it’s covered.
- Layer chicken on top so that it’s covering the rice and broth.
- Sprinkle the prunes and chopped kale over and around the chicken and rice (alternatively, you can sauté the kale separately in a wok if you prefer it a little crunchier).
- Cover and cook for 1 hour. At the 1 hour mark, uncover and cook for another hour until the rice is cooked thoroughly and the chicken is crispy.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 2 HOURS