I was recently craving homemade comfort Italian food, and decided to create my own healthy version of this classic Italian staple! If you don’t already have a spiralizer, I highly recommend one! Zucchini noodles often make an appearance in my salads and entrees because of their versatility. They’re great when eaten hot or cold, and can be served as both a vegetable and a ‘noodle’ base. I love them in this dish because they absorb the sauce really well, but if you’re not quite ready to take the ‘plunge’ into zucchini noodles, you can always go half zucchini/half regular noodles to start (which I often do with chickpea pasta!).
If you’re anything like me, you may also sometimes get into a ‘chicken funk’ where you’re totally ‘chickened out’. Sometimes the idea of chicken breast on its own is so boring, right?! This healthy and light chicken parm recipe was a great way to spruce things up a bit, feel satisfied, and keep things balanced all in one meal! ENJOY! <3Print
- Zucchini (spiralized)
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Egg
- Italian Breadcrumbs or Spices of your choice (panko, garlic powder, etc.)
- Tomato Sauce of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 450
2. Slice a boneless skinless chicken breast in half, so you have two thin cutlets
3. In one bowl whisk 1 egg, and in another bowl add Italian breadcrumbs. * I had some fresh parsley so I chopped up a bit to add in, but not necessary. If you don’t have Italian breadcrumbs: combine panko, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
4. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, followed by the bread crumbs and lay on a greased baking dish.
5. Bake for 25 min flipping halfway through
6. Top with 1-2 tbsp sauce and buffalo mozzarella (or whatever cheese you have on hand!) and bake another 2-5 min
7. Serve on sautéed zucchini noodles and sprinkle with chili flakes and some extra sauce.