As a Nutritionist I try my best to eat local and seasonal products. It’s not always easy which means I have to put in the extra time and effort to shop at particular grocery stores and farmers markets (even if they’re not down the street from me!). This is partially because seasonal products offer higher nutrients, and they also taste way better. I mean, there’s nothing like eating fresh juicy strawberries in the summer, amiright? So what happens when something’s not in season? Do you forgo strawberries for an entire season? Nope! Well here’s the thing, winter does NOT mean you have to stop eating California strawberries…you just may want to re-think how you consume them.
Here are some quick facts on frozen strawberries:
- 8 strawberries = 1 serving ( I usually have more than this, but it’s nice to see that all it 8 strawberries packs in lots of nutrition)
- Frozen California strawberries are extremely tasty and flavourful (perfect for all your recipes).
- They’re convenient – you will always have them on hand for smoothies, sauces and more!
- They’re affordable! Plus no more abandoned berries in the fridge means you’ll waste lessfood and money.
- They’re loaded with nutrients because California Strawberries are harvested at their peakand frozen immediately. FUN FACT: there is there is no significant difference invitamins, minerals, fibre, or antioxidants between fresh and frozen strawberries
- A serving of strawberries have more vitamin C than an orange 🙂
I happen to rely heavily on frozen strawberries all year long and I wanted to share one of my favourite recipes! Does anyone else have a weak spot for berry crisps? It’s one of my favourite recipes as it’s super easy to make, healthy, and of course sweet and delicious. In this recipe I used frozen California strawberries. (Duh!) Check out the recipe below!
- bag organic Frozen California Strawberries
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch square pan or small cast iron skillet
- Add in the strawberries and mix in the 2tbsp coconut sugar
- In a medium sized bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and layer on top of the strawberry
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden and the berries are bursting.
- Top with your favourite coconut ice cream
P.s. there’s also a fun contest going on! For more info check out californiastrawberries.com/canadiancontest/ The contest is open to Canada but excludes Quebec.
Thank you again California Strawberries for this awesome partnership. I love working with like minded brands 🙂 #frozenstrawberries #strawberries #californiastrawberries