This is classic comfort food, without all of the guilt! On one of my weekly outings to the Farmer’s Market I came across a MASSIVE MONSTER zucchini. I purchased it immediately knowing it would be put it to great use. Worry not, you do not need a monster zucchini! It will taste just as delicious by using regular size zucchini 🙂
why i ♡ this recipe:
- gluten free
- carb free (not that carbs are bad!)
- nutrient dense
- healthy alternative
- Total Time: 1 HOUR
- 3 large zucchini
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 package extra lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1 jar of tomato sauce ( I am obsessed with White Linen Tomato sauce from Costco!)
- 2 cups part skim mozzerella
- 1 cup light or part skim, riccotta
- 1 heaping cup finely chopped kale
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat on medium heat (about 5 minutes) and season with salt + garlic powder. Pour in jar of tomato sauce, reduce heat, and cover with lid for another 5 minutes. (Don’t worry if it is not completely cooked because it will continue to cook in the oven!)
- As the meat sauce is cooking, slice zucchini into thin (about 1/4-inch thick or less) slices lengthwise. Relax, it doesn’t have to be perfect :)!
- In a medium bowl mix together the chopped kale + ricotta cheese + oregano
- To assemble: In a 9 by 13 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spread 1/3 cup meat sauce on the bottom. Layer some of the zucchini strips to cover the bottom of the dish, slightly overlapping the pieces. Layer with the following: tomato meat sauce, chunks of ricotta kale mixture, mozzarella, zucchini strips, repeat. Top off with the rest of the cheese.
- Cover the dish in foil and bake for 45 minutes, removing foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Let it cool 15 minutes before cutting in! (It’s normal for it to be a bit runny)
- optional-Sprinkle on chilli flakes
- Avoid filling your baking dish too high up. The zucchini adds lots of moisture/liquid so you don’t want it to spill over in your oven!
- Believe it or not, I prefer this COLD the next day!