As a Holistic Nutritionist and foodie, cooking is extremely important to me! While I do eat out, my preference is home cooked meals. I am pretty particular when it comes to my pantry essentials, and one of my staples is definitely rice. My go-to’s are basmati and brown rice, but the varieties are endless. I love rice for so many reasons. For one, it’s inexpensive and fits into every budget, but it’s also extremely versatile. From middle eastern to asian cuisine, and everything in between, there’s nothing better than soaking up some incredible flavours into a perfectly comforting hot bowl of rice. Rice is the perfect blank canvas for a flavourful masterpiece, and today I’m sharing my 10 favourite ways to eat rice. Before I dive in, I thought I’d begin with both nutritional and fun facts about everyone’s favourite U.S.-grown whole grain.
Brown rice is a source of vitamins and minerals, and contains potassium, magnesium, Vitamin B6 and Iron. Plus, all varieties of rice are naturally sodium and gluten-free, which makes it a great choice for those with gluten allergies or sensitivities.
Fun facts about rice:
- Brown Rice – Because of the oil in the bran layer, it has a limited shelf life of approximately six months. For extended storage, a cool place such as a refrigerator or freezer.
- At about 10 cents per serving (1 serving=1/2 cup), rice fits every budget. On average, long grain white and brown rice (a nutritious whole grain) yield three times their volume when cooked.
- Rice feeds ⅔ of the world’s population!
Plotting your next extraordinary rice dish? I gotchu!
Rice, 10 ways 🙂
- Stuffed Peppers with brown rice + ground turkey – stuffing peppers with rice is not only a great way to create a balanced meal, but you’ll score major brownie points when it comes to presentation at your next dinner party!
- Sushi 🙂 If you’re a sushi lover who’s never attempted making your own sushi, I highly recommend it, at least once! You’ll feel super accomplished and it’s a fun weekend activity!
- Black rice with roasted veggie bowl and tahini – somehow plant-based meals are always better with a comforting heap of rice to make you feel completely satiated.
- Lettuce wraps with rice, sauteed shrimp, sauteed veggies, avocado & hot sauce
- Chicken soup with rice – opting for brown rice over noodles in your soup is a healthier alternative, and just as satisfying.
- Jasmine rice with baked salmon and roasted broccoli – definitely one of my favourites. I LOVE the way salmon tastes with rice.
- Rice pudding with pure maple syrup, fresh berries and a drizzle of almond butter – because YUM!
- Homemade brown rice proteins bars
- Brown rice bowl with tofu, veggies and peanut sauce – simple, wholesome, and packed with nutrients.
- Brown rice bowl with chicken and broccoli – this might sound basic, but that’s for good reason! It’s healthy, fuss-free, and the perfect go-to for a weeknight meal.
I could honestly keep going, and that’s why rice is so versatile! I hope you have a chance to cook some of my linked rice recipes above! Haven’t quite mastered the art of cooking rice?
Click here for how to make perfectly cooked rice!
#USARiceCan #ThinkRice #5Days5Ways #RiceisLife #usarice #rice