Morning & Afternoon Pre Fast:
- Remember that you are eating an early dinner….make sure to save room for this meal!
- If you are a heavy coffee drinker, try limiting your intake to 1
- Have a large breakfast, small lunch, so you can eat a normal size dinner
- Choose foods that will sit well in your stomach and are easy to digest
- Opt for fruits and herbal tea for dessert, sugary desserts will only create more cravings and make it a hell lot more difficult to fast
- Limit sodium
- Eat protein and complex carbohydrates: these give you long term energy
- Do not over eat at dinner!
- Remember that thirst is the real difficulty to overcome! Not hunger. DRINK LOTS OF WATER TODAY
- Drink liquids with electrolytes (coconut water)
Day of Fast:
- Take an afternoon nap
- Overcome headaches and food cravings by sniffing spices (cinnamon and cloves)
- Mind over matter: You can do it!
Breaking the Fast:
- Do not eat anything too heavy
- Make sure to drink lots of fluids and to eat slowly
- Have a small cup of juice before the meal to release sugar back into your bloodstream
- Do not over eat, I promise you will see food again!
Examples of Complex Carbohydrates:
- fruit→ plums, pears, grapefruits
- vegetables→ spinach, yams, carrots, cabbage
- Legumes→ chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils
- Whole Grains
Good Sources of Protein:
- Lean chicken breast
- Tempeh (fermented soy)
- Egg Whites