Posted on May 28th, 2012
As the summer approaches, many of us are eagerly spending more time in the great outdoors. Moderate sun exposure delivers some great benefits including vitamin D, increased energy, better moods, and an excuse to drink sangria.
However… Yes, I’m about to deliver the lecture you’d rather not hear, the one that goes like this: Excessive exposure to the sun damages our skin, leads to premature aging, and runs the risk of developing skin cancer. But you’ve also heard the good news, that sunscreen SPF, hats, shade (stop thinking 50, ladies..), and limited exposure in the sun, can help you maintain the radiant skin you were born with.
And wait, there’s more! Here are some foods for that extra zap of skin protection:
1. SALMON-contains Omega 3 fatty acids which protects the skin from sunburn.
2. WATERMELON, PAPAYA, TOMATOES– the bright colours found in these fruits are high in carotenoids and lycopene. These are especially helpful in protecting skin and eyes, and minimizing the signs of aging.
3. DARK CHOCOLATE- rich in flavonoids which increase the skin’s tolerance to sun, while improving overall skin health.
4. KALE - high in beta carotene and lycopene which prevent premature aging, and protect the skin from sunburn.
5. BELL PEPPERS - rich in Vitamin C which helps build collagen to prevent the skin from sun damage.
P.S. If you find yourself constantly exposed to the sun think about taking some supplements (fish oil, astaxanthin vitamin C, etc.) to increase your sun protection! DON’T FORGET TO WEAR SUNSCREEN