These turkey meatballs have become a staple in my diet! I make them almost weekly, and rotate the ground turkey with ground chicken. When it comes to meal prep, I always think about the protein options I want to enjoy throughout the week. The key word here is “enjoy”. I always think about the foods that I actually enjoy and then try to come up with healthy versions. Conventional meatballs are made with pork & ground beef, and tons of breadcrumbs which can increase the fat and carbohydrates in your diet. These meatballs are made using lean ground turkey instead of the beef, and almond flour instead of bread crumbs which creates a much leaner, carb free meatball!
I usually make meatballs in a cast iron skillet- it helps to create a crispy outside layer and really locks in the flavours. The brand I use is called Lodge.
- 1 package ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup almond flour ( loosely packed)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning spice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or ghee
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl combine turkey and the rest of the ingredients. Combine until everything is mixed in.
- Use your hands or a tablespoon to form 2” balls.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt avocado oil or ghee
- Drop meatballs into pan. Let brown 3ish minutes and flip to brown additional side another 2-3 minutes. I use tongs to flip, and be gentle so they don't break!
- Place the skillet with meatballs directly into oven (only if your pan is oven safe!!!)
- Bake 15 minutes, until fully cooked