When it comes to being health-conscious, it’s easy to grow tired of the same old salad and protein, am I right? In fact, when it comes to dinner, I simply won’t settle for a salad as my main. Instead, I opt for wholesome comfort food (especially during this cozy time of year!). My trick is to load one-pot with all good things, and zest them up with some ihart zing.
This “clean” and nutritious Shepherd’s pie is loaded with veggies, protein and complex carbohydrates. I swapped out beef for lean turkey, sweet potato for white potatoes, and threw in some kale as extra nutrients. So you here you have it, an old suppertime classic made with love AND nutrition! Enjoy
p.s this is Gluten Free & Dairy Free ♡
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups chopped kale (optional)
- 1 package ground turkey
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp gluten free tamari (or soy sauce * not gluten free)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (optional)
- 3 tbsp oat flour (any flour will work!)
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- put sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 15 minutes, until potatoes soften.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil, and brown the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Season with salt + pepper. Once cooked set aside on a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan, add the onion and sauté two minutes. Add the carrots, garlic, celery, cook about 6-8 minutes. Add in the chopped kale and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey back into the veggie mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 3 tbsp oat flour,tamari, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tsp thyme.
- Drain, and mash the sweet potato and combine with 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk. Season with salt + pepper.
- Add turkey mixture into an 8- or 9-inch baking dish. Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on top of the turkey + vegetables.
- Bake for 20 minutes.