Early this week while sipping my morning coffee, I had a craving for something sweet…..Pancakes to be precise. After reviewing several recipes online I came up with oatmeal cottage pancakes. The combo may sound a bit odd but they were absolutely delicious, and of course nutritious. Regular pancakes are low in nutrients, high in fat, and loaded with sugar/carbohydrates!
These pancakes are easy to make, and HIGH in protein. In fact- you get as much protein as you would from chicken breast. The base of the recipe is oats & cottage cheese!
*WHEAT FREE, VEGETARIAN, HIGH PROTEIN, HIGH IN FIBER
Why i ♡ these pancakes:
Cottage cheese → high in protein
Oats →high in fiber, promotes weight loss & a healthy bowel
Egg Whites→ high in protein
Strawberries→ full of antioxidants & phytonutrients
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ½ a banana
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup of low fat cottage cheese
- 1.5 tbsp of almond milk (use any milk you desire!)
- Handful of sliced strawberries
- Blend all ingredients (except strawberries!) until smooth consistency about 20 seconds. Toss some strawberries into the batter, reserving some to include when the pancakes are done.
- Coat a non-stick pan using olive oil or cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Drop about 1/5th of mixture onto pan and place a few strawberries on top and cook until pancake is covered in bubbles. Flip pancake and cook until golden.
- Spray pan again and repeat!
- Drizzle on some pure maple syrup and throw a few more strawberries on top.
- *For a gluten free option use gluten free oats