Did you know that cardiovascular disease is the number 1 cause of death in North America? To name a few, cardiovascular diseases include heart attacks, high blood pressure, and obesity (which by the way, collectively kills 1 in 4 people every day).
Well…some good news- Most cardiovascular diseases can either be prevented or controlled.
Reduce the risk with these simple suggestions:
- Increase fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, fish, and poultry
- Lower your sodium intake
- Increase fibre
- Limit saturated fat and bad cholesterol
- Increase HDL (the good cholesterol) fish oils, nuts, olive oils. Etc.
- Cardio- at least 30 minutes everyday
- Lift some weights- lowers blood pressure
- Lose some weight/ maintain a healthy weight
- Yoga- regulates heart rhythm
- Deep breathing
- Don’t smoke-but obviously that’s a given!Who even smokes these days…it’s gross, unattractive, expensive, and annoying. ( Just as a reminder smoking ruins your lungs, clogs and hardens arteries, and increases your blood pressure). I don’t care if you want to look cool on the patio this summer. Enough is enough.
- Find time to relax
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night
- Check out your cholesterol levels (once every 5 years ish)
- Laugh- It improves your circulation (among many other things)
- Find out your family’s health history
p.s i ♡ Heart Health